By Pamela Nathan
Holiday Time can be Danger Time! So be forewarned and then forearmed
How can this be?
- Unrealistic expectations – of joyful, happy family and friend times when there may be family or friend issues.
- Transitions – from work sites back to home sites.
- Changing locations: from bush back to towns or cities.
- The first Christmas – loss of family members or friends.
- Changing times – family and friends have changed or you have changed.
– displaced or not belonging
– alone and isolated
– troubled and helpless
- Too much time on their/your hands.
- High on drugs or drunk on grog.
- Too much crazy impulse times.
- All too much and more.
Most people do not want to die;
There are always solutions to problems;
They/You can talk;
Suicidal states of mind can be transient;
Helplessness can become hopefulness.
You can change your mind;
Save the life of a friend or your life;
Make a contract to live;
Tell a professional or a family member of friend;
Don’t keep secrets;
And be back for another year of work and the next holiday to be lived safely.
- NT Police 131 444
(ask for channel 2 Alice Springs)
Crisis Lines 24/7:
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
- Mensline 1300 78 99 78
- Suicide Callback Service 1300 659 467
Suicide Specific Counselling & Support:
- Central Australia StandBy Response Service
Location: Alice Springs, NT
Phone: 0439 842 155
- Top End StandBy Response Service
Location: Darwin, NT
Phone: 0418 575 680